Ah, the Whirly-Bat. It looked so cool but seemed so dangerous. What if Batman stood up before the propellers were off? And doesn't his flapping cape aver get caught in the blades? It was like an accident waiting to happen. Batman and Speed Racer previously met on the blog way back in 2010, one of my earliest covers...

13 comments:
The whirly-bat really needs a second rotor, turning so that it applies force in an opposing direction to the first, because otherwise torque will try continuously to turn the whole vehicle rather than just the rotors.
A small screen above the cockpit would help with some matters. But, knowing Bruce...Alfred, i'm down to my last 5 batmobiles! I must get more!
@Ross: LOL! I just had a vision of Edna Mole standing up to the Dark Knight and telling him: "NO CAPES!"
Seriously, though? This is a brilliant concept for bringing these two characters together. I remember when I first read the reprinted origin of the "Batmobile Of 1950," I marveled (no pun intended) at how much it resembled the 1966 tele-version!
So, with Speed Racer's input, I like to imagine (with nostalgic longing) this new version of the Batmobile turning out to resemble the one driven by the Dark Knight in the early 1970's. Sort of a golden anniversary edition!
P.S.---how about a team-up between Chim-chim and Detective Chimp?
I had the same mental image as Cary -- Edna would definitely have words to say about this.
And in similar vein, I also have a mental image of the Inferior Five being whipped into shape by Sgt. Slaughter.
I always enjoyed the Whirly-Bat in its few appearances back in the day. Looking at it now, I'm struck by the lack of fuel tanks. It would take an enormous amount of energy to lift several hundred pounds of machine + Batman. What powered this thing? There isn't even room for a decent sized rechargeable battery!
Oh no! They destroyed the Batwheels!
What, I'm the only one who's seen that show? They handle the villains more accurately than some of the grown-up adaptations out there right now.
Capes not a problem because obviously the rotors push air down (creating lift) rather than pulling air up.
Like a turbo-fan VTOL?
Let's put it this way. I had literally never even heard of it till this morning! Which might not necessarily be a bad thing.
What about Judge Dredd vs. Sergeant Slaughter?
@Carycomic: Exactly.
@Carycomic: you didn't miss much. It only ran for three seasons...which was 3 too many.
Post a Comment