Frank Robbins was an artist that I didn't fully appreciate as a kid. At the time I thought his work was a bit sloppy, but when I look at his pages now, I am impressed by the amount of noirish action and excitement that he packed them with. Plus, I love the thick brush strokes that he used. This cover comes about from a suggestion by Ken Roskos, a Patron of this Blog. Thanks, Ken!
3 comments:
I also thank Ken for this suggestion. Especially as the title reminds me so strikingly of THE SHADOW STRIKES #27 (DC, 1992)! I particuarly loved it when the Shadow told a young Mao Tse Tung: "Beware, lest in freeing your people from economic slavery, you bind them to promises of a false prosperity. I know what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
Seeing the Shadow here reminds me about a thought that I had while reading the pre-Flashpoint 'Batgirl' series (the one starring Stephanie Brown). In one issue a Harvest Festival was being held in Gotham City, and more than one person there wondered out loud "What does Gotham harvest, anyway?" Surely the correct answer has to be "Bitter fruit"...
Lol! Good point.
Post a Comment