Friday, March 7, 2014

Superman in the Marvel Universe



I remember seeing ads for Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali when I was a kid, and being fascinated by it.  Treasury-sized comics were a rarity at the time and it was cool to see that the great artwork of Neal Adams was going to be presented in such a large format.  Plus, superman was teaming up with a real life guy, probably the most famous sports figure of the time.  I thought that was so crazy that I just had to read the story to find out what was up.  That turned out to be a long wait because I never saw a copy on sale.  It took decades and the invention of the internet before I tracked down a copy.  The story is just as nuts as I was expecting it to be, and the Adams artwork was gorgeous - well worth the wait!

7 comments:

Konsumterra said...

i had a terrible idea/request

sailor moon and moon knight

Bob Greenwade said...

Really, Ross, you should have timed this one for release on the day after Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Funny cover! Where you got the pics of a beat up Superman wearing boxing gloves and the Hulk doing the same I'll never know. Your memory must be phenomenal, Ross!

Actually, what I really noticed is that it's only a week to STF #700! Can't wait to see what you have planned...

Gregg

Dascoser said...

Don't know about the boxing glove Hulk and Superman, but the rest is from #4 of the early 80s Hawkeye mini-series, right?

Ross said...

Yup!

Isaac said...

The Superman image came from the aforementioned Ali/Superman story. I wanna know where that hulk image came from. Looks like something from The Electric Co. or one of those kiddie records that came out in the 70's & 80's.

Ross said...

It's from a Thing Vs. Hulk Image by Jason Garrattley.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!