Friday, July 1, 2011

The Thing and The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles



I was a little too old to get into The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when it first came out as a cartoon, but I did get a kick out of the couple of black and white comics that I read where they made their debut. Later, I saw the first live action movie and I have to confess that it is a guilty pleasure for me. I feel no guilt, however, regarding my admiration for TMNT, their CGI animated movie. I though that was very well done and I absolutely loved the look of the film, particularly the brother vs. brother battle in the rain. That movie made me really want to see other comic book properties animated in the same manner, and sadly we haven't seen any since. It's too bad because it would be a great format to adapt a comic book without having to worry so much about how costumes translate to screen and the cost of major SFX scenes. I love watching live action superhero fare, but I definitely think is would be cool to see more CGI comic book films.

8 comments:

arw1985 said...

Nice. I watched the show and even had some of the toys when I was younger (they're all gone now though, probably buried in the yard somewhere.) Anyway, I might actually try to check out some of those earlier comics.

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Awww, yeah...TMNT!

This would be such a cool Two-In-One...or maybe a Five-In-One...

I haven't read the original B & W run, but I did pick up the thirteen part run a few years back that ran from issue 50 - 63 or something like that. It was quite a good read. I even still have the Star Trek Turtles - way cool!

I'll have to Netflix the animated movie - good recommendation!

Anonymous said...

Here's a challenge for your next team up: The Thing and A Distant Soil by Colleen Doran!

Ross said...

While I admire Colleen Doran's work, I have to admit that that is a title I have never read.

Cabin said...

You know, there were Star Trek TMNT figures available; I have a set in deep storage!
Imagine THAT as a movie! You know the upcoming Green Lantern TV series will be cgi! I hope it works better than that horrible MTV Spider-Man series, or, Iron Man Armored Adventures.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure all of A Distant Soil is now online at Doran's site. I've been meaning to sit down and read it for a while now.

That said, I was plesantly surprised by the CG movie as well - was much better than I'd been lead to expect and I quite enjoyed it.

-Mea

Energy Law said...

.....too late to ask for a team-up with Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters?

Carycomic said...

@ Energy Law:

I'd prefer the Thing vs. Adult Thermonuclear Samurai Elephants!*


*Mind-controlled by the Puppet Master, perhaps.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!