Friday, July 8, 2011

The Thing and The Vigilante



I thought that The Vigilante was the best character to spin out of Marv Wolfman and George Perez's New Teen Titans.  I loved his simplified look and tough as nails personality and I felt he made a good foil for Dick Grayson.  It's too bad that he did not catch on more with the comics audience, perhaps he was seen as a Punisher knock off?  At any rate, after the Adrian Chase version took his own life, the concept never really rebounded.  I will say that I did give the recent Vigilante series that sprung out of the pages of Nightwing a shot and found it to be pretty enjoyable.  I don't think it sold very well though, and that's a shame.  Perhaps he can fin a home as a supporting character in the new Nightwing series.

5 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Very cool!

Not sure why Vigilante didn't take off or catch on...Maybe it wasn't so much due to The Punisher, but maybe that Perez and Wolfman already had Deathstroke, and Marvel had The Taskmaster. Yeah, maybe not so similar, but still a crowded field...

The Vigilante storyline in New Teen Titans probably not nearly as well remembered as the Judas Contract storyline...

Still, Adrian Chase was a very cool character!

pblfsda said...

I can't recall the individual covers, but is that a mash-up of two separate John Byrne illustrations? It looks pretty seamless.

Ross said...

Paul Ryan and Keith Pollard I think.

Anonymous said...

Keith Pollard did the greatest Green Lantern in the early '80's, when GL was exiled in space. Look up the issue titled "Green Lantern The Barbarian" (1983). My favorite story.

SmearySoapboxPress said...

I've gotta agree with pblfsda - this is a really seamless cover; looks like one of the toughest ones you've done, and you pulled it off nicely!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!