Monday, July 18, 2011

The Thing and Tomb Raider



I liked video games but was always somewhat disappointed by games based on superheroes.  They were usually side scrolling and very repetitive.  I always wished that there would be a superhero themed game set in a huge open environment where you could control the hero, solving puzzles and fighting bad guys.  I was giving up hope when I finally got a copy of Eidos' first Tomb Raider Game.  It wasn't based on a comic book character, but this was finally the kind of action I had been hoping for.  Thankfully, the format took off and we have seen some great games, superhero and otherwise in the years since.  I have to believe a great game like Arkham Asylum would not have come about if not for the ground broken by Tomb Raider.

The Tomb Raider films are not high art by any standard, but I have to admit I enjoyed them both.  I understand there is some interest in reviving the character as a movie property, and I will be interested in seeing what comes of that.

2 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Cool cover.

Tomb Raider and Witchblade have to be the most original ideas NOT from the Big Two.

I'd been reading that Megan Fox might take the Lara Croft role. It just might help her career...it couldn't hurt!

Lionel Braithwaite said...

You should be playing DC Universe online like I am, Ross.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!