Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Thing and Tron



Tron was one of my favorite movies growing up and I still like to pop it in occasionally.  I loved the whole concept of being trapped in the game grid and feel that the special effects were very impressive for the time, and they still hold up pretty well.  In fact, I think they work better than the effects on the recent sequel, Tron: Legacy.  The clean sharp lines of the original look much cooler to me than the swishy neon effects that were used on the sequel.  I did like that they used Jeff Bridges in dual roles but the CGI used to make him younger did not work for me and the Clu character just looked a bit creepy.  Oh well, at least I have the original to still enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I think of the original Tron, I also think of other sci-fi films from around the same time in the early 80's, like Bladerunner, WarGames (with Matthew Broderick), the (god it was awful!) Krull, The Secret of Nimh, and can anyone ever forget MEGAFORCE!!?? Oh, well....uh..maybe some of you did.

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Outrageous!

Megaforce? Was that with Barry Bostwick?

WarGames is probably my favorite. I still haven't seen Classic Tron...Saw Secret of Nimh, didn't see Bladerunner or Kull.

Tron is perfect for Ben - maybe even for the entire original Fantastic Four, considering the time spent in the Negative Zone and other dimensions...

Ross said...

I hear Wargames is being remade. And I remember the Megaforce ads on the backs of many comics. "Deeds not words!"

Support STF: The Lost Issues!