Monday, November 29, 2010

The Thing and Blackhawk



I was aware of Blackhawk from their guest appearances in more superhero themed magazines, but it wasn't until the co-feature in Action Comics Weekly that I began to follow the characters. I liked the personality that Howard Chaykin gave to Janos Prohaska and really enjoyed the sleek art of Rick Burchett on that series.

With its international flavor and wartime action, this is another property that could find success on the big screen, if handled cleverly enough. I could see it working as a period piece or even updated for the present day.

7 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Awesome! A two-part adventure? A one - two punch?

I followed Blackhawk in Action Comics Weekly, too!

I could maybe see somebody like that Captain Jack from Doctor Who 'n' Torchwood as Blackhawk, unless there's a better suggestion.

I'd keep it a period piece. Keep them part of World War II. Not sure how well Chop-Chop would...fly these days...

Mike D. said...

I can't wait for part 2!!!!

Ross said...

Ulp... sorry to mislead but both parts of this tale are in the same issue! There are some real 2-parters coming up though!

John said...

Actually, there was a 1952 Blackhawk movie serial. It starred Kirk Alyn (who also played Superman in a movie serial).

On a side note, The Thing and Captain Jack would make a great match-up.

diana green said...

You need to do yourself a favor and read some of the 40s Blackhawk stuff. While it has an unfortunate racist element, the artwork of Reed Crandall more than makes up for it.

Ross said...

I've read a few reprints and Crandall is indeed great.

Carycomic said...

I wonder if Ben came back in time to save the life of Reed's Uncle Dan (the Golden Age Manhunter-in-Blue).

Support STF: The Lost Issues!