Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Thing and Batgirl



When people talk about which comic costumes have been best translated to screen, they always seem to overlook Yvonne Craig's excellent Batgirl outfit from the 60's Batman series. Not only did it look exactly like the comic version, I don't think anyone has looked as good in a superhero costume since.

I am torn on the whole Barbara Gordon issue. I really don't like what Alan Moore did to the character in The Killing Joke, but I must say that her re-emergence as Oracle has been one of the coolest character arcs in all of comics and makes for a very unique hero. There are so few superheroes with disabilities that it would be a shame now to magically heal her, which DC has resisted thus far. That said, the Batgirls that have replaced her haven't really captured my attention. I really liked the idea of Commissioner Gordon's daughter as Batman's partner. I'm not sure there's any way to have it both ways other than feature Babs Batgirl in "untold stories" from time to time.

2 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Awesome!
Here's my two cents: rebooting a character has only worked with Barry Allen and Hal Jordan. I'll admit there may have been others, but those are the ones that have worked...at least for me.

There are a lot of reboots that are/have been bad ideas.

I would rather read a Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson story than a Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne story. Same goes for Barbara Gordon. As long as it's not like that one by JMS...that was such melodramatic, cheesy corn...

I'm torn over whether I like Wally West as Kid Flash or The Flash.

Maybe Kyle Rayner could have been just an alternate or reserve Green Lantern. Or one from a parallel earth or something...

Don't even get me started on The Hawks, Ray Palmer or Ted Kord. Clobberin' Time, indeed!

John said...

Great cover! Cheesy as it was, I actually liked the recent "Brave & The Bold" issue (#33)with WW, Zatanna, and Barbara Batgirl (think that's what Cathy is referring).

Aaaaanyway...your covers rock. Keep up the cool work.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!