Friday, April 16, 2010

Batman and Devil Dinosaur



This request had me stumped because I just couldn't fit the Jack Kirby artwork with a Batman cover to my satisfaction. Then I decided to see if I could find a Kirby Batman on the web. This turned out to be a lot harder than I though it would be. Kirby illustrated the two Super Powers minis series for DC in the 80's, but Batman was not featured prominently on the covers and I could not find many scans of the interiors. Finally I found a decent copy of the promotional ad to the series and was able to pull the Batman image off of there.

I never read the short lived Devil Dinosaur series, but from the covers it looks like a fun Kamandi style romp. Regardless of how much sense the stories might make, you gotta love the inventive visuals Kirby gave them.

3 comments:

Ronnie de la Free said...

Love this one, I believe it is the first time i have seen a Kirby Bats. If I could make a request, I would love to see you use Scout from Timothy Truman's Eclipse series. While I'm at it, The Invisibles or characters from Scalped would be awesome. Or that fellow from Ex Machina. Thanks for the fun! -R

Energy said...

Requests; Warlord (you DID do Conan, be fair!), Public Enemy (again, you DID do KIZZ, lets have one for Rap!)
There might actually be some street graphic artwork with superheroes you can use.

Ross said...

Warlord is a definite possibility...

Support STF: The Lost Issues!