Friday, July 29, 2022

Sub-Mariner and Arion: Lord of Atlantis

 

The Black Panther: Wakanda Forever teaser trailer was released at Comicon, and it looks great - I have every confidence that director Ryan Coogler will deliver another impressive movie.  My only complaint is how Namor looks.  I get the switch from an Atlantean aesthetic to an ancient Mayan one, to differentiate the character from Aquaman - but where is the signature haircut?  What's up with the full beard and mustache and the big distracting peg through his nose?  Other than pointy ears, they made no attempt to have Tenoch Huerta look anything like the classic comic character. First we get a bald Black Adam and now this - even Iron Man has never had his classic widows' peak helmet design! Hollywood really must not like that look.

This cover comes about from a suggestion by Brian C., a Patron of this blog.  Thanks Brian!

9 comments:

Carycomic said...

I haven't seen those trailers, yet. But, Hollywood proves too squeamish to even let him wear a cinematic version of the green speedos, I'm boycotting BPWF! Because even I have a limit to how much disbelief I can suspend for the sake of getting my money's worth out of a boring box-office dud.

Re: today's cover? I, too, thank Brian for suggesting this combo. The alliterative title, alone, delightfully makes me wonder if the titular antagonist is a minion of the Dead Sea Death-dealer.

We will now begin the pro & con speculation with the Honorable Bob Greenwade.

Bob Greenwade said...

I like it! The suggestion was nice, but the execution of the idea is top-notch.

As for BPWF, I haven't seen the trailer yet. I'm hoping to run that down today or tomorrow. I have seen a couple of stills, though, and the character is barely recognizable as Namor.

The real challenge of Namor is that (as I understand it) Jack Kirby drew him with a triangular head, making him a potentially fitting guest-star for your recent Dick Tracy/Bullseye cover.

dsnokc said...

Thanks for another great Sub-Mariner cover! I read a few Arion issues back in his original run, but really didn't like the comic. The Ocean Orc looks like a formidable challenge for Namor and Arion, though!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks, Bob! That gives me an idea for a new suggestion. Dick Tracy and the Sub-mariner vs. Fishface. Special guest-stars; the TMNT.

cgl66@aol.com said...

How can you call it a boring box office dud from seeing only a trailer?

cgl66@aol.com said...

I love the entirety of Namor's look for the movie. Far better than the generic and dull look he's had for 80 years. Mind you, I wouldn't mind seeing him in his black suit with wings

Carycomic said...

Because that's what THOR: LOVE AND BLUNDER turned out to be. Though only half as bad as NOPE. The latter, I did unapologetically walk out on!

And, personally; I'm glad the black squirrel suit proved as temporary as Steve Rogers' post-Watergate Nomad look.

jack-el said...

did you perhaps mean Bill Everett not Jack Kirby?????

Anonymous said...

Good call, Jack! Bill Everett was the artistic creator of Namor's Golden Age look.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!