Saturday, July 23, 2022

Hawkman & The Atom and Jack of Hearts

 

This is another of those covers where the final product looks relatively simple to achieve.  Take a splash page featuring JOH, and then drop in the other two heroes on top of it, right?  This wasn't quite that easy, as I had to do a lot of prep work with the initial image before anything could be added to it.  I thought this would be a good candidate for a little behind the scenes view of a cover in progress.  I hope you enjoy these mid-creation peeks, I'm considering making this a semi regular feature of the blog going forward for whenever there's a cover that has a deceptively tricky element in its creation.



6 comments:

Carycomic said...

Interesting! Machinesmith must've been after some of that Contraxian tech in the original story.

As to his going after Hawkman and the Atom, as well, in a real-world version of this story? He probably also wanted some Thanagarian tech...and some of that white dwarf matter from Ivytown, CT. For what purpose? Ross only knows. But, it definitely can't be good!

dsnokc said...

Thank you for sharing a part of the process that goes into creating these amazing covers. Not to mention the imaginative team-ups and story titles. Hawkman is my favorite DC character, so I always appreciate you utilizing him. Jack of Hearts was an interesting Marvel character, so it is fun to see him here. The Ray Palmer Atom (pre-savage barbarian storyline) is another favorite from the Silver Age.

Ken Roskos said...

Man, your patience and thoroughness triumphs again Ross, this is a very interesting process page. I love the ruff placement of the Atom above that missile. And it's neat theme: I see now how all three heroes here depended on some sort of super-science for their powers, so it makes sense that they would team up to protect their secrets.

Of course, Jack had the roughest experience when advanced technology got out of control. He was another cool character, but it seemed to me that Marvel didn't know what to do with him, and I lost track.

Ross said...

Ken, yeah,The Atom is there from me just messing around with MS Paint (which I still do most of my concept work with) to see if I could come up with something that would work. Once I do, I move over to Photoshop and begin.

Anonymous said...

More power to you, then. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wait - Have Jack of Hearts take on Two-Face?

Support STF: The Lost Issues!