Saturday, July 17, 2021

Black Canary and Mantis

 

Mantis is the comics is an incredible martial artist - I'd like to see that a little more in the movies.  Maybe in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.  the MCU version will have picked up some new moves.  I have to admit though, I got a kick out of seeing Pom Klementieff posing like a praying mantis as she went into battle.

Black Canary here is by Trevor Von Eeden and Vince Colletta.  Von Eeden's work is always great, and in my opinion his Green Arrow is the best that character has ever looked.  I was lucky to be able to pick up a World's Finest page featuring a Von Eeden emerald archer many years back:



8 comments:

Carycomic said...

Heh! Wouldn't it be something if that werewolf that was the Earth-STF counterpart of Daniel "Oz" Osbourne from Sunnydale, California? Seeking to heighten his inner peace, domestically, rather than all the way in Tibet.

Just spit-balling, Ross. :-)

emsley wyatt said...

Before I scrolled all the way down I thought that it was going to be the Mantis from the TV show.

Anonymous said...

@Emsley Wyatt: Thank Heaven, you guessed wrong!

Ross said...

M.A.N.T.I.S. will appear on a cover one of these days...

Bob Greenwade said...

I will be so looking forward to M.A.N.T.I.S.! Maybe he can be teamed up with U.N.C.L.E. or S.H.I.E.L.D. -- or, in a sort of Carl Lumbly tribute, with J'Onn J'Onzz and/or Isaiah Bradley. For that matter, just J'Onn and Isaiah would be a cool salute to Carl, especially on his upcoming birthday (14 August).

Carycomic said...

It could be worse, Emsley and Bob. It could've been Mantis of Apokolips! The evil New God with the Parasite-like power to drain the super-powers of others.

Btw, Ross: I forgot to mention how I love that art work sample. Makes me wonder if the panel after the cliff-hanger showed Lovecraftian aliens! Hence, the exclamatory question about "men."

Daviticus said...

@Carycomic: I believe I've read that story, and I regret to inform you that the "men" were...just men.

Carycomic said...

Rats !

:-(

Support STF: The Lost Issues!