Thursday, December 7, 2023

Scalphunter and Two-Gun Kid

 

I think the main reason that I have always liked Scalphunter is because of the strong impression that the first story I read featuring him had on me.  It was his appearance in The Brave and the Bold, and the amazing JL Garcia Lopez artwork in that issue blew me away.  I liked when the western heroes would cross over with DC's superheroes.  The above Scalphunter image was taken from when he, Bat Lash, Jonah Hex and Cinnamon showed in a couple of Justice League of America issues, another fun story.

9 comments:

Detective Tobor said...

Shades of the Lone Ranger and Tonto! If an Indian wore a mask, would a white man be able to recognise him without it?

Bat Lash with Bat Masterson..whose turn at bat?

Carycomic said...

@Tobor: technically, Scalphunter was a white man who was abducted and raised by 19th century Kiowa when he was a boy.

@Ross: I remember that two-parter! One of their Late Silver Age run-ins with the Lord of Time.*


*Whom I believe has yet to debut here in person. ;-)

Bob Greenwade said...

Do the comics have Wild West heroines that can be featured here in a pair or grouping?

Anonymous said...

"Cole"? Is that a time-traveling Cole Burns from 100 BULLETS?

Harry Tzvi Keusch said...

I loved Weird Western Tales! I was so excited when # 38 announced that Jonah Hex was getting his own title and really enjoyed Scalphunter, especially when he met Abraham Lincoln.

As Carycomic said, he was a white man, the is why he was called Kee Wah No Te - he who is less than human.

Glenn said...

@Bob: Cinnamon is the most well known Wild West heroine who first appeared in Weird Western Tales #48. DC also has Tallulah Black first in Jonah Hex #16. Marvel does not have many - Swift Cloud, Arizona Girl (Annie), ?.

Some historical females made comics (Annie Oakley, Calamity Jane in Charlton, Dell and Atlas) but hard to mix the art.

Anonymous said...

@Glenn: if her father had been Jeff "The Roving Ranger" Graham, would that make her Cinnamon Graham?

I'll show myself out.

Carycomic said...

@Anon1031: And don't come back!

Anonymous said...

Madame .44

Support STF: The Lost Issues!