Monday, December 26, 2011

The Creeper and Spider-Man



Welcome to the first issue of Super-Team Family: The Lost Issues!  I was trying to think of what to do for my follow up to B&B and MTIO, and this felt like the next natural progression.  Super-Team Family was a short lived DC series in the 70's which presented a combination of reprints and new material featuring superhero teams and team-ups.  They would have the old stand-by's like Superman and Batman, but then they would have an interesting team-up like Wildcat and The Creeper or The Flash and The New Gods.  It was those offbeat team-ups that appealed to me the most, and they served as a huge inspiration for this blog.

The Original STF ran only 15 issues, but the Lost Issues will run considerably longer.  I have many, many covers ready to go and I am making more all the time, so buckle up! You will notice a few differences in this series from the other two titles that I took on.  First off, the cover says it all - going forward, there will be no fixed host of the series and any issue can feature anybody teaming with anybody.  The random numbering is gone and STF will be presented sequentially.  Also gone is posting in any kind of alphabetical order, so you'll never have an inkling of what is coming up next.  The wide open aspect of this new title has opened up a world of possibilities and I plan to have fun with it!

I decided to kick off the series with a meeting of  my two favorite Steve Ditko characters.  Of course, I was halfway through with it when I realized that I had used a Jack Kirby Spider-Man figure - oops!  Oh well, at least the headshot on the wanted poster is by Ditko!

I hope everyone who has enjoyed this blog so far will like the new direction!

20 comments:

Jeremy said...

Awesome Cover.

Worldmusic said...

........who didn't draw up an imaginary "dream list" of heroes that they would love to see team up. Once again, this blog tugs at the heart strings of true comic fans.

John R. Platt said...

Love it! I'm already enjoying this Bold New Direction!

Tony Isabella said...

You continue to amaze and delight!

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Wow! Holy Dual Ditko! this is an awesome direction you're going in!

I LOVE it! I've been hoping for something with Spider-Man, or maybe Superman, like Marvel Team-Up or DC Comics Presents - but this is one better!

This is what the recent re-launch of DC's The Brave and the Bold promised, especially with JMS writing...

Very cool!

Carl Cafarelli said...

Oh, wonderful idea! Looking forward to many terrific combinations throughout the year (and consider this an early request for Captain Marvel/The Lone Ranger, Vampirella/Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, and Captain America/Newsboy Legion (or Boy Commandos...or BOTH!).

Anonymous said...

sgt rock meets sgt pepper,nick fury meets sgt rock,adams family meets
thing, unknown soldier meets it living colossus, kiss meets phantom of the opera just for starters

Rick L. Phillips said...

Super-Team Family was the one team up book in the 70's I could never get into. There were a lot of reasons but mainly because the one time I tried it the book seemed to be nothing but reprints and back then I hated reprints. So I decided to not waste my time or money on the book. I have since read some issues and it was pretty good.

Ross said...

Some interesting suggestions there... One at least is already in the queue..

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Brilliant new direction! I can't wait for more!

Personally, I'd love to see Blue Devil with any Ditko character. Little known fact... Blue Devil was originally created with Steve Ditko in mind for the art. I think Paris Cullins was a better choice, but the Ditko connection is interesting.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://firestormfan.com

Neil Robertson said...

Since STF is a DC title, will one of the stars always be a DC character? Might lead to doing a Marvel-based Super-Villain Team-Up run, which also opens the doors to villainous co-stars...

As for Ditko co-stars (DitKoStars?), I'd like to see a matching of Doctor Strange and the Question (or Hawk & Dove).

Ross said...

There will be more Ditko match ups. As for the DC Bullet- in The Lost Issues Universe, all characters can be found under one company so this title will be a catch all for any pairing (even if neither character is from DC). There are still multiple super villain team-ups coming your way though, so the bad guys will get their share of the spotlight.

Erik said...

Love the new series... I loved the later issues of the series back in the 70's.

After STF, can DC Comics Presents be far behind?

open source said...

.....would definitely like to see an emphasis of villain match-ups this time around.

Ross said...

No need for DCCP because Superman will get plenty of covers in STF. STF can have any type of Team-Up so I don't anticipate switching titles for the foreseeable future. I may even do more Batman or Thing team ups - but they'll be under the banner of STF.

Michael Jones said...

I like the idea of creator's creations co-starring. Kamandi & Devil Dinosaur comes to mine.

Ross said...

You can count on seeing that one, as well as several other all-Kirby covers.

Bob Greenwade said...

I like this new direction. It makes the possibilities nigh-endless:

Punisher/Ambush Bug
Silver Surfer/Legion of Substitute Heroes
Ambush Bug/Foxbat (insanity reigns!)
Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel
Ghost/Spectre
Knight Watchman/Savage Dragon
Champions (RPG)/Greatest American Hero

...and maybe even Access with several Public Domain superheroes (pdsh.wikia.com) who share names with better-known heroes such as Wonder Man, Oracle, etc.

LEEE777 said...

So this is number one!

Cool ;p

Carycomic said...

A deuce of Ditko's most dazzling. Delightful! :-)

Support STF: The Lost Issues!