Thursday, May 12, 2016

Expansion Team



When you include the Brave and the Bold and Marvel Two-In-One Lost Issues, this marks my 2000th Cover!  Thanks for all the support, especially from Patrons of the blog, for helping it to continue!

I remember seeing the original Ghostbusters in the movie theater and loving the final act with the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.  Not only was it a hilarious yet imposing visual, I had no idea any such scene was going to take place.   If the movie had been released these days, there's no way the massive moment would have been kept a secret from audiences.  Either online spoilers or a toy tie in that gives too much away, or even the movie's own trailer would somehow ruin the surprise.  I can only imagine how much more cool that big moment in the Captain America: Civil War airport fight would have been if I wasn't already completely expecting it by the time the movie opened.

The Expansion Team first got together back in STF #934...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 2000th cover. This blog and your creativity are always a treat! Thanks Ross!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Great use of the Sta-Pufft Man. I'd like to see him s'more.

Ross said...

Thanks guys!

S'more... I get it...

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, Ross (and you've earned a lot of it, I assure you), I'll wait another five hundred and ten issues before offering my congratulations on your two thousandth cover proper. ;-)

That being said, I love the cuteness of this cover! Especially as a campy monster like the Marshmallow Man would probably have been used as a Plastic Man foe by DC. And on his Saturday morning cartoon show, during the Eighties, in particular!*

I also agree with you about the small miracle concerning the surprise that Marvel Films included in CACW. It certainly surprised me! And in this Age of On-line Spoilers, that's almost impossible. Emphasis on the "almost."

So, thanks for this charming and amusing cover. I can't wait to see what you have planned for STF #1500.


*BTW---how about a Plastic Man/animated Ghostbusters team up?

Zarathustra said...

Congratulations from me too. Looking forward to 2001.

Unknown said...

I like you point on the lack of surprises these days.
The example I always use is the reveal at the end of Thuderbolts #1.
I can't imagine a surprise getting pulled off like that today.

Sonofjack said...

"Expansion Team" with no Bouncing Boy? How could it be so?

Bob Greenwade said...

No Bouncing Boy because of Elastic Man (limit one character per originating company, with rare exceptions). But I think we could get Elasti-Girl (of the Incredibles) in, to expand the Expansion Team. :D

PS: Ross, you just keep up the great work. 2K is a great milestone.

Sonofjack said...

Bob Greenwade, I think you mean "Elongated Man". Sorry, I hate to be "that guy".

Carycomic said...

Congratulations on another milestone. Great job on this cover!

Simreeve said...

Sonofjack Well said...
"Expansion Team" with no Bouncing Boy? How could it be so?

That's what I was going to ask...

^_^

Bob Greenwade said...

Sonofjack - I don't know why I said Elastic Man. Yes, you're totally right; it's Elongated Man. And usually I'm "That Guy."

Anonymous said...

Maybe you were thinking of elasti-lad?

Patrick said...

This premise reminds me a bit of a DC COMICS PRESENTS cover teaming Superman with "the Elastic Four," consisting of Plastic Man, Elongated Man, Elastic Lad, and the never-seen-again villain Malleable Man.

Anonymous said...

Hey and don't forget about GLA Flatman!
By the way I've just discovered this site and it's fantastic!
Great ideas!

Carycomic said...

Mr. Stay-puft---the love child of Pop N. Fresh and the Michelin Man.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!