Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Thing and The Atom



A pretty simple cover this time around. It probably could have used a caption or a word balloon but I liked the simplicity of the image and didn't want to clutter it up with one of my bad puns! The Atom has always been one of my favorites. I used to get excited when he would show up on an episode of Super Friends. He is just now coming into his own again after years of being bogged down in depressing storylines and being replaced by a "younger, hipper" version. I liked how he was utilized on the animated JLU series and the minor tweaks they gave to his costume. They kept the iconic Gil Kane design, but made the fabric shiny and gave him all white, Batman-type eyes. I thought it gave him a more modern look and would like to see it used in the comics.

5 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

There is just something about a Thing - Atom team-up that is perfect!

It's a shame that both DC and Marvel decided to give their tiniest heroes such big and heavy burdens to carry. Ray marries a psycho...and Hank IS a psycho...

Comics should be fun...

Jamie Rosen said...

Written by Gail Simone, the "younger, hipper" Atom was a tremendously fun character and a natural fit for the events surrounding Ray Palmer at the time. I like Ray, but Ryan was a good character in his own right.

Unfortunately he, like Peter and MJ's marriage, fell victim to the "I want it back the way it was when I grew up" a lot of creators for the big two seem to have.

Sorry for the mini-rant. :/

I agree with Dave: Comics should be fun.

Ross said...

Don't get me wrong, I liked Ryan Choi as a character too and don't think he should have been killed off... but I would have prefer if he had carved out his own identity (call him Proton or something) rather than take over the role of an already established character. Ray Palmer's supporting cast definitely needs fleshing out and Ryan was a welcome member to the Atom family... the redundancy factor doomed him unfortunately.

AirDave said...

Dave wonders,

How is it that Ray, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen and Katar Hol all caught on, and yet Ryan, Kyle Wally and whoever they got in green to replace Ollie didn't?

I remember when Green Lantern was relaunched in the '90's Hal really started to become more interesting - and then he went nuts and became Parallax.

Did we expect too much from the newer guys? I know a lot of other fans may not have been as patient with them to find a groove and hit a stride...

I think I am mine own answer. Or as Pogo said, I have met the enemy and it is me.

Ross said...

One difference is that when the Silver Age GL, Flash et al first appeared, the Golden Age versions had not been published at all for several years. It's a different situation when a new version appears while the character they are meant to replace is still around.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!