Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Firestar and Miss Martian



I have to admit that when Miss Martian was introduced in the comics, I rolled my eyes a bit.  I know there is a strong thread of legacy heroes running through the DCU, but did the Martian Manhunter really need a junior sidekick?  Geoff Johns' writing helped me eventually warm up to the character, but it wasn't until the animated Young Justice series that I truly began to enjoy the Teen Titan.  I found that I enjoyed her on that show much more than in the comics, which doesn't happen often.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the silver age Iron Man and Hourman team up, I always thought that Rex Tyler and Tony Stark would make an interesting pair up also.
I would also like to he a silver age Hourman / Wonderman team up.
And I have been waiting a long time for a silver age Green Lantern Human Torch team up. the things Johnny Storm used to do with his flame would go well with what GL did with his power ring.

Ross said...

Huge Hourman fan here, I'll definitely try to get him on some more covers. Hal met Johnny with the rest of the FF on an earlier cover and The Golden Age Torch and GL have met as well, so there's that.

Bob Buethe said...

There was no silver age Hourman. The silver age was (roughly) 1956 to 1972, and there was no Hourman around then, except for occasional appearances by Rex. Do you mean Rick Tyler or Matthew Tyler?

Anonymous said...

I mean the Hourman who appeared in the first JLA / JSA team up in the Justice League of America in the early to mid 60's. I can't remember the exact year. He also appeared in two Showcase issues team-up with Dr. Fate. Also in the 60's

Anonymous said...

She was obviously inspired by the Sailor Mars character in SAILOR MOON.

P.S. to the other Anonymous---that was the Golden Age Hourman. DC didn't make him a father until the Bronze Age of the late 1980's.

Bob Buethe said...

@Anonymous: That was Rex Tyler, the Golden Age Hourman coming out of retirement. He's my favorite of the lot, too. Although I did like the 1999 Hourman series featuring the android version (Matthew Tyler) a lot, too.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!