Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Robin and Spider-Man



Stan Lee has often mentioned how he created Spider-Man as an answer to Robin and the other teen superhero sidekicks, figuring that kids wanted to envision themselves as the hero and not just the junior partner.  While there is certainly truth to that, and it was a huge element in Spidey's success, I definitely think the hero/sidekick mentor relationship lends itself to a lot of interesting stories.  That was part of the appeal for me when it came to Tim Drake, I really enjoyed the relationship between his Robin and Batman.  The interaction between the two of them as well as characters like Alfred and Nightwing made for a lot of engaging comics, and I am sorry that he has become somewhat redundant since the introduction of Damian Wayne.

By the way, this story is not over, so stay tuned for Part Two tomorrow!

3 comments:

AirDave said...

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about Robin being more of an internship than a partnership. Maybe because Dick Grayson was Robin for so long before the "title" was passed on to Jason Todd; then Tim Drake. The turnover rate has gone up since Dick became Nightwing! Ha! I guess I'm a fan of Dick Grayson as Robin. Tim's a pretty good runner up, I liked Chuck Dixon's run on the title...

I still believe that Ultimate Spider-Man is THE best Spider-Man comic...

Anonymous said...

since the san diego comic con was last week, do you think you could a number of covers about super-heroes and other people showing up at the con.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! How about one with Zatanna holding a shrunken Spidey, literally in the palm of her hand, while a bunch of Comicon attendees look on with open-mouthed astonishment?

You could even feature a word balloon that has her saying something along the lines of:

"Still think I'm just a fan girl?"

Support STF: The Lost Issues!