Friday, October 14, 2011

Batman and The Astonishing X-Men



I was a huge fan of the X-Men during the 80's - Chris Claremont really knew how to weave a superhero soap opera and the art by Dave Cockrum, John Byrne, Paul Smith and others was always a treat.  I do feel that the X-Men became a victim of their own popularity though, as more and more spinoff titles were added.  Eventually, there were so many characters, crossovers and and plot lines to keep track of that I finally gave up on following them altogether.  Every once in a while a new creative team I liked would come on board and I would check out one of the flagship titles again - but they were never able to capture the same magic.  That changed when Joss Whedon and John Cassiday gave us Astonishing X-Men.  With a streamlined cast and firm grip on the characters, it was the best X-Men title I had read in years.  I only wish they had stayed on the series longer.  Whedon's comic work here gives me confidence in the upcoming Avengers movie which he wrote and is directing.  The trailer released this week definitely has some Whedon-esque lines!

2 comments:

Shazamaholic said...

Off Topic: DC just announced Captain Marvel will be in the DCnU.
"The Curse Of Shazam" by Geoff Johns and Gary Franks will be published in Justice League.

Cathy and Dave said...

I read Whedon's X-Men it was pretty good. I'll have to dig that out and re-read it. he brought back Colossus, right? The art was amazing. I am so looking forward to Avengers. I just saw the preview - it looks so cool. To paraphrase Rene Auberjonois, Marvel is cleaning DC's chronometer at the box-office!

RE: Captain Marvel -
If Johns is bringing back Captain Marvel, hopefully he will be a League member alternating with Superman. That would be the smart thing to do...

Support STF: The Lost Issues!