Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Thing and The House of Mystery



I was more of a superhero fan when I was a kid, but my bothers had a bunch of DC's horror comics around and I was definitely intrigued by them. I mostly was drawn to the art, which often seemed to be a notch above the more traditional comics, especially the covers. They always had an unexpecting character just about to face some sort of demon or animated skeleton, and sent shivers down my young spine! The stories were basically morality plays, and you could always count on the villain of the story meeting his grisly just desserts by the tale's end. I like that DC had Cain, the host of The House of Mystery, show up in a few of their mainstream titles once in a blue moon, just to remind the readers that it was one big shared universe. I haven't seen him or his cohorts outside of the Vertigo imprint in years - but hey, Swamp Thing and John Constantine are back in the mainstream DCU, so anything 's possible I guess!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That turned out AWESOME! The dramatic lightings mix wonderfully. Definitely a favorite.

-Mea

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Wicked cool cover.

I picture Cain with a very high-pitched voice almost like the Crypt Keeper from Tales From The Crypt. Or that guy who played Odo on DS-9.

My buddy Derrick read House of Mystery. He let me read a couple issues he collected. They were amazing!

notintheface said...

Rene "Odo" Auberjonois (sp?) would make a perfect live-action Cain.


Any chance of seeing his bro Abel?

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Hey! @notintheface! Awesome! You got my Rene Auberjonois reference...I was thinking he'd become obscure!

I would hope we could see Abel - who I imagine is either John Rhys-Davis or Bob Hoskins - and their sister Eve...

Evidence said...

since its Memorial Day Weekend, this is a good time for me to BEG Ross for some patriotic suggestions for July 4th. Please, Please: Force of The July (from The Outsiders), Commander Steel, any DC or non-Marvel character that wears red/white & blue. Oh yeah, still waiting for the Warlord team-up (please have Machiste in there somewhere!)

Ross said...

RW&B and Warlord will appear as I close out the alphabet so you'll have to wait a bit longer.

Rick L. Phillips said...

For the 4th of July it could be Uncle Sam without the Freedom Fighter or Fighting American.

Anonymous said...

Or Archie Comics' THE SHIELD!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!