Thursday, September 9, 2010

Batman and The Planet of the Apes



I watched the first Planet of the Apes film recently and it still holds up. It's my favorite Charlton Heston role and I am always impressed by how much emotion Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter were able to portray under such heavy ape makeup. Of course, Nova wasn't too hard on the eyes either. I have vague memories of watching the TV show when I was a kid, and I know I must have liked it because I had a Planet of the Apes Lunch box for a while!

The Tim Burton movie had some nice makeup and visuals but the story just did not do it for me and in the end it was a pale and unnecessary imitation of the original. I understand there is a new film in the works with James Franco titled Rise of the Apes, which is meant to be a prequel. I am a bit wary after the last attempt, but I will still keep an eye on this and hope it can capture some of the old magic again.

6 comments:

Paul C said...

I think this one's my favourite of all the ones you've done. i wish they'd make this.

Mikeyboy said...

oh man! Awesome!

Rick said...

I believe this is your best cover so far. Have you thought of teaming him up with E-man and Doctor Solar?

AirDave said...

This would be an awesome team-up for the holiday issue of B & B and tie in the annual Wish Book. A page toward the back of the Sears' or Penney's toy catalog with Batman Mego figures and Planet of the Apes figures. Thanks for the '70's flashback - it was awesome!

Rick Lucey said...

I pretty much follow how you saw the APES saga and agree pretty much with your assessment of it all. As I type this the newest film has come out and I really liked it and feel we now have a new APES saga about to play out. I really hope it takes the reboot route at this point.

Anonymous said...

Actually, in my permanent opinion, the ending of the Tim Burton remake is a perfect segue' to DOTPOTA. Which is another way of saying the latter is a perfect prequel of the former. And, pretty soon, we shall see if the sequel to the prequel continues to uphold the earlier quality!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!