Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Green Lantern Vs. The Fantastic Four



When John Byrne jumped from Marvel to DC, it was cool to see him work with so many characters.  One hero that I wish he wad worked with more is Green Lantern.  I enjoyed the GLC showing up in Action Comics during its team-up phase and really liked Green Lantern: Ganthet's Tale as well, but I wish he had gotten the chance to work with him on an ongoing series. Byrne always had a knack for designing alien characters and space epics so it would have been a fun read, I bet!

GL and The FF have met before  - the last time it was the FF that were possessed... at least they were working together during their first meeting.

6 comments:

AirDave said...

Byrne is one of those iconic pencillers, like George Perez, that would be great to see take on ANY book, from The Avengers, Fantastic Four, Justice League or Society, Titans...I still have that issue of Action Comics with Superman and The Titans...Great stuff!

Bob Greenwade said...

I really enjoyed Byrne's reworking of Superman's first appearance after the Crisis on Infinite Earths. It was very sensible and believable, and about as realistic as a story can be when it's about a man who can fly around carrying an airliner on his back.

Regarding this cover, I do hope that the next GL/FF meeting has them working in tandem again.

Also, for some reason I'm wanting to see John Stewart working with Jim Rhodes during the latter's time as Iron Man.

Anonymous said...

"GL's gone nuts.!"

He's probably got a Parall-ax to grind, Ben.

;-D

Kid Charlemagne said...

What's the difference between Heaven and Hell?

In Heaven, John Byrne draws comics and Keith Giffen writes them.

In Hell, John Byrne writes comics and Keith Giffen draws them.

************

Though to be fair to Giffen, when he has a good inker, his art looks decent--and he still draws better than I can draw.

Disclosure: My all-time favorite group is the Legion of Super-Heroes, so that should tell you my problem with Byrne as a writer--although maybe I should blame DC editors instead. :P

Carycomic said...

No "maybe" about it. They've been like headless chickens since they lost Julie Schwartz.

kenny c said...

I always wished he had done a green lantern run it seemed perfect for his brand of story telling. he would have used some obscure lantern story and continued it with a new story.

he would have used guy gardener and John Stewart too. probably retconned hal's origin in some way and deeper explained why the ring chose hal.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!