Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Green Lantern and The Fantastic Four



I was always creeped out in a good way by Starro the Conqueror.  That giant eye hovering in the sky was even cool than Galactus to me.  The visual of the mini-Starros mind-controlling the populace by wrapping themselves around the heads of their victims is a great one.  I have to wonder if the guys who designed the Xenomorph face-huggers in Alien were inspired by some old JLA issues.  I understand that Darkseid will be the villain in the upcoming Justice League film, and that should be cool - but part of me wishes they would have stuck with the League's actual first villain.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

team of ally oop capt caveman anthro ka-zar kamandi

Dougie said...

I'm pretty sure that face-hugging Starros came after ( but not long after) Alien, actually.

Dougie said...

Yep. Alien was 79 and the original Bolland/ Starro cover was 1980. (The first version I saw featured pony-tail Zatanna.)

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Ah, the FF would have a hoot with Starro(yes I actually said the word hoot;)

Of course Ben would make fish jokes, and the Reed and the team would just laugh the whole thing off, unless it was played more serious than that. But considering all the villains and foes the FF have fought over the years, I just don't see Starro impressing them all that much. Good cover though. And Thanks for the correction on thinking i was Cooke. Dave Bullock's style looks so damn similar to Cooke's, so it was hard to differentiate.

Russell said...

Great job as always. You can't go wrong mixing Perez and Bolland.

Dougie, I'm confused. The Bolland cover with the Starro "alien" story was in 1980, but that was after Zatanna had changed her look. She wasn't wearing a pony-tail by that point.

Anonymous said...

@Dougle: So, xenomorph face-huggers inspired the wrap-around little Starros. But, Starro, as a whole, still comes before ALIEN '79.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!