Sunday, April 5, 2015

The JLA & JSA and Captain Marvel



When The Death of Captain Marvel was first released, I didn't live near any place that sold the fancy new Graphic Novel format that it was presented in, so it was a few years before I got my hands on a copy.  It was worth the wait.  The death of a main character and stories that include dozens of heroes are commonplace now, but back then they were rare enough that it truly felt like a special event worthy of the higher production values.  I guess the truest test of the impact that this story had is that Marvel has resisted the urge to return Mar-Vell to life (although they have teased that a couple of times).

9 comments:

AirDave said...

I remember the original JSA-JLA team-up and the death of Terry Sloane, Mr. Terrific. I haven't read The Death of Captain Marvel. I've heard it was pretty good.

Death has no sting or bite anymore. It's too common.

Isaac said...

I thought that cover looked familiar! Good eye AirDave, I read that issue too and couldn't place where I'd seen this before. Another seamless cover Ross. I do wanna know if you've ever tackled the Firestorm villain Hyeana and the Spidey Villain Jackal? I think they'd be great together.

Ken Roskos said...

Yes, great cover! Only Jim Starlin can write and illustrate Captain Marvel, and the last I heard, Starlin wasn't on good terms with Marvel/Disney. To me, Mar-Vell sort of lives on in Adam Warlock. Let him rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

I like to imagine that Mar-Vell was transported to the DCU, by Dr, Strange, in that now-classic WHAT IF...story where the former had been cured of his cancer. Only to have it mutate into something that proved contagious to Earthlings, Skrulls, and Kree alike!

Anonymous said...

I have a little challenge for you. Batman '66 meets cartoon Spider-man '67!

Scott said...

Starlin is writing at Marvel now He recently wrote a Hulk vs Thanos mini-series and is working through a Thanos gn trilogy. Two other books by him have been mentined by name nut have not been anoounced by Marvel yet. The Death of Captain Marvel was his swan song to Captain Marvel since it is based on losing his father to cancer.

Scott said...

This was the first JLA/JSA crossover I read as a kid. The only downside was it took about 25 years to resolve the story.

Ken Roskos said...

Thanks for the update Scott. The Death of Captain Marvel was was quite a milestone back then. I notice that the "Big Red Cheese" is absent here;)

David Serchay said...

Scott, my dowsnside was that I had part one but it was years until I found part two and found out who the killer was.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!