Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Thing and Shazam!



I haven't heard of much movement with the Shazam! movie adaptation lately, I hope it isn't too far on the back burners. With comic movies these days becoming more and more realistic and grim, the whimsy of a Captain Marvel film could be a nice contrast. Ideally it would be filled with all the action and drama of a traditional superhero adventure, but with a healthy dose of humor thrown in, just as the best classic Shazam stories had. The wish fulfillment of a young kid transforming into a superhuman adult is just as important to the story as all of the fisticuffs. Sure, Black Adam and Sivana are the obvious villains, but add in some of the more original characters like Tawky Tawny and Mr. Mind, and that's a superhero movie that will truly stand out from the rest!

2 comments:

Shazamaholic said...

I agree about your assesment of the Shazam movie. Visit my blog to keep up on the developments. I have a post reviewing the rejected William Goldman script and a post detailing the history of the film's development, and a post with my own manifesto for the movie.

Great cover, by the way!

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Jerry Ordway! Yes!

I dunno...I really can't see a Shazam! movie happening any time SOON. There's Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Green Lantern...then The Flash...I would say Cap is behind Aquaman and J'onn J'onzz. Isn't David Goyer trying to do an Oliver Queen movie - or is that O-fficially dead?

I think Cap and his universe might best be served by an animated film or series. But, even then, there are other properties in line ahead of him there, too...

No matter where he turns - suspended animation!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!