Sunday, February 13, 2022

Hawkman & Hawkgirl and Power Pack

 

The first image of Aldis Hodge as Hawkman has been released and I have mixed feelings about it.  On the one hand, I love the huge size of the wings and I can't deny that the suit is comics-accurate - But of all of Hawkman's various looks over the years, they decided to go with that one?  I remember when the garish red and gold outfits with the metallic wings were introduced for Hawkman and Hawkwoman - and I also remember them being ridiculed and rejected by the fans, which is why they didn't stick around for very long.  It's a head scratcher that they were used for inspiration.  At least give him feather wings and green pants!

Hawkman and Hawkgirl here are by Bryan Hitch and Ed Benes, respectively.  I was lucky enough to pick up original pages by both of the talented artists several years back: 




7 comments:

det_Tobor said...

The Hawks are packin' POWER!! Thief, ya don't stand a shadow of a chance.

Carycomic said...

It could be worse, Ross. They could use those cumbersome-looking wings the Golden Age Hawkman wore in his debut. But, in conjunction with that yellow luchador mask he wore in Earth-2 stories of the Early Silver Age!

Bob Greenwade said...

I haven't seen (and can't seem to find) the image in question, but I will say that my favorite look for a live-action Hawkman is still Michael Shanks from Smallville.

Anonymous said...

It's pretty much everywhere, Bob! The rest of the JSA, Fate, Cyclone and Adam Smasher have been shown too. Just google "Hawkman Black Adam", should be there.

Bob Greenwade said...

I'm still seeing only concept art and fan art, though if the real thing looks like the former, it'll still be a distant second to Shanks.

Anonymous said...

"He rocked the boat, did Michael Shank.
These bubbles mark where Michael sank."

Sorry! I was reminded of an old verse from THE ARROW BOOK OF POETRY.

Carycomic said...

@Anon: You were half-right. The original name in the poem was "Ezra Shank!"

Support STF: The Lost Issues!