Friday, September 30, 2011

Batman and Spider-Man (Retro)



I am curious about the Amazing Spider-Man movie, as it will be interesting to see how a new cast and director will handle the character differently from the Raimi/Maguire films.  It is a puzzling decision though that they are going back all the way to the origin again, as that ground was covered pretty thoroughly in the first movie.  The costume I am mixed on - while I am not crazy about the added pinstripes and metallic slippers, I like the new eye shape (closer to John Romita Sr., my favorite Spidey artist) and the use of actual web shooters.  I'm also very happy about the use of The Lizard as the villain, as we were teased with that possibility throughout the original trilogy with Curt Connors making small appearances.  Unfortunately set reports I've read sound like the design will be more Hulk-like rather than the lithe, lab-coat wearing visage from the comics.  I've never seen anything with Andrew Garfield, so I can't judge him just yet.  Time will tell whether this revitalizes the Spider-Man film franchise, but right now I am in the cautiously optimistic camp.

5 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Awww, yeah! That is one sweet cover! It made me laugh out loud!

I liked the Spider-Man films even though they were somewhat "flawed". I bought the "web" Raimi and Maguire were spinning. Unfortunately, like the latest Batman Trilogy, there's a built in "reboot" button near the end...

Anonymous said...

This cover had me laughing, too.

I wonder, did you ever read the Spider-man issue (I think it was one of the early annuals), where Spider-man finds proof of his parents' patriotism in the file cabinet of the Red Skull. No, really, the Skull, for whatever reason--German efficiency, perhaps--kept the Parkers' secret agent IDs!

I can't help but wonder what document Peter Parker found in the Bat-Cave...

Uncle Twitchy said...

This one was awesome, Ross! I'd never seen it before.

Anonymous said...

Andrew Garfield was the best friend in "The Social Network," the one who got screwed out of his shares in Facebook.

He was very good in that so I am confident that at least the acting will be good. They also chose a very good director, I don't remember his name but he made "500 Days of Summer." This leads me to believe they will focus on story rather than effects, as he is not an "action movie" director.

Carycomic said...

So, is this the Rossverse counterpart of Earth 2 and, if so, is this the local version of Spidey?

Support STF: The Lost Issues!