Sunday, August 5, 2018

Calvin & The Rocketeer (and Space Ghost!)



My father is 34 years older than me, and while that doesn't seem like much to me these days, as a kid and second youngest of seven, I felt like we had very little in the way of common interests.  He loved reading, but certainly not comic books, he has into car racing while I preferred to watch basketball or baseball, and so on.  So, it really made an impact on me when I saw how much he enjoyed reading Calvin & Hobbes in the paper.  I loved that he had the same appreciation for the humor, heart, imagination and artistic skill that went into Bill Watterson's classic cartoons.  I even wound up buying him some collected editions.  Now that I am approaching 50, I feel like I have a lot in common with my Dad, and our mutual love for that strip was the when I began to understand that.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cover!

Anonymous said...

"Must combine my forcefield with the the freeze ray," Space Ghost thought to himself.

One second later, Spaceman Spiff was frozen toast.

BigMike20X6 said...

That is the same age difference between my own dad and myself. Sadly, my dad passed when I was still in high school but he introduced me to the joys of Calvin & Hobbes when I was younger.

BigMike20X6 said...

Also I'd love to see Stupendous Man and the Tiny Titans

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised at how few comments there are for such a great cover.

However, as it seems to be a quiet day for comments, and Mike has started the requests/suggestions, here are a few ideas.

1) Marvel's cosmic cubes and Mandrake's crystal cubes.

2) Mr. Mxyzptlk (or Mr. Mxyxtplk) who does not seem to be in the blog labels, could be a good antagonist for Donald Duck. In part 2, Huey, Dewey and Louie (also not in the labels) would save Donald. "In the junior woodchucks manual it says you can trick an imp into saying his name backward by

AirDave said...

My dad passed away in 2000. Prostate cancer. The same month Ted Knight had his finale battle against The Mist. Dad was a Bond fan. He and I had an appreciation for Sean Connery's Bond. Thanks for reminding me of my dad. ;)

Ken said...

It's always great when you can connect with your dad as a person and not just as a son.

Anonymous said...

Conversely, however, there is a limit to how many times one can listen to one's dad talking about Evelyn Keyes, Artie Shaw, and Everett (lesser known brother of Bing) Crosby.

The Silver Fox said...

Brilliant issue! And although I absolutely love C&H, I never cared so much for Spaceman Spiff episodes, but teamed with Space Ghost, whom I've loved since I was about nine? Uhh... Did I already say "brilliant?"

BigMike20X6 said...

And just one more wacky Calvin suggestion -- Spaceman Spiff meets Zoot Sputnik

Anonymous said...

Or the two of them vs. Darth Vader!

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Adore this so much!!!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!