Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Atom and Yellowjacket



Hank Pym has had a lot of identities (Yellowjacket, Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Goliath, The Wasp) and just as many costumes.  I have to say my favorite look of his is the Yellowjacket costume.  It looked cool and sleek and I loved the big vibrating shoulder wings.  Unfortunately, this is the outfit he was wearing when the ill-advised the decision to have him have a breakdown and smack his wife, so it has been since associated with the abusive, unhinged Pym.

I have always liked Gil Kane's design for The Atom's costume, but I do admit it looks a bit dated.  I thought that the Justice League Unlimited cartoon had a great take on it - they kept the overall design but had the costume made from a shiny material and gave him Batman-like whited out eyes.  It stayed true to the classic look but gave it a nice modern feel.

4 comments:

Cathy and Dave said...

Dave sez,

Holy Super Iconic Image, Ross! Or, better yet, Holy Homage, Ross!

I started reading Avengers off and on around #150 - I stopped when Hank fell in with Egghead and was arrested and kicked off the team. He created one of the "greatest" villains ever, Ultron, along with Jocasta, but it is kind of a bummer that he was a jerk in both the mainstream and Ultimate universes.

I like how he was portrayed not too long ago in the Marvel Adventures Super Heroes series. The take on him there was that he was an absent-minded inventor taking his work to Janet Van Dyne's father's company, where he ran into her...

Justin S. Davis said...

Yellowjacket has always been a fave, as one of my first funnybooks featured him and Spidey against Equinox (Marvel Team-Up #59).

I really like Hank trapped in the bottle!

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Great team-up! Love these characters! Two characters that should be more connected. And such a fantastic match on this cover with the poses!

The Irredeemable Shag
http://firestormfan.com

Anonymous said...

The whited-out eye holes actually date back to his Filmation days in 1967. That was the first time I ever heard of the Atom. And, for a third-grader back then, those cartoons rocked!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!