Thursday, February 7, 2019

Starman and Iron Man (W/Black Canary & Black Widow!)



When people ask me my favorite comic of all time, I don't even have to think about it: The Brave and the Bold (1955), which should come as no surprise to those who have followed this blog since the beginning.  It checked all the boxes for me - it prominently featured my favorite artist Jim Aparo and my favorite DC hero, Batman.  Also it was a team-up title which I of course went nuts for.  Before that, it was the try-out comic for many great concepts - The Suicide Squad, Teen Titans and Justice League of America among them. Finally, it presented the return of many a Golden Age hero for new life in the Silver Age like Hawkman, Hourman, Wildcat, Doctor Fate, Green Lantern and the two above. What a series!

Starman and Iron Man first met in STF #2190...

12 comments:

jlbgriggs2 said...

I understand that excitement. I enjoyed Brave and Bold as well. But Marvel Two-in-One and Marvel Team-Up were my favorites. I really loved their covers too.

Carycomic said...

Those were Top Three favorites, too. Back when comics were "STILL only $0.20!"

Simreeve said...

Coincidence strikes: I re-read that Starman/Black Canary/Wildcat revival story (reprinted in a one-off 'JSA 80-page Giant') just a couple of evenings ago.

The Silver Fox said...

Back in the early Iron Man issues of Tales of Suspense, they used poses similar to this more than once on the cover.

I wonder if Dinah and Natasha (and Zatanna too?) buy their fishnet stockings from the same retailer.

Anonymous said...

Either that, or Spidey is mystically dehsawniarb into using his webbing to repair their runs. ;-)

Ken said...

Aside from The Legion of Super-Heroes, my favorites were the Big Two's team-up books: The Brave and the Bold, DC Comics Presents, Marvel Two-In-One and Marvel Team-Up. And yes - Jim Aparo was the big draw of that particular book.

Brother Kellymatthew said...

Listen to the Mandarin Reign. I'm a Punny Guy, I might be among the Punniest you'll ever interact with.

Glenn said...

As a kid I read Brave and the Bold and realized that that series was not in the same world as rest of DC Universe but loved it.

Carycomic said...

@Glenn: I know what you mean. The earliest issues I ever read of B&B, in the early-to-mid-Seventies, had Batman doing uncharacteristic things. Like flying commercial down to South America, with Richard Dragon, in full costume...in broad daylight!

Of course, I now realize that was the remaining influence of the BATMAN '66 series. But, at the time, I thought to myself: "Whoa! Why aren't they using the two-seat Batplane by night?!"

Carycomic said...

Mento-intensifier, huh? Does that mean Steve Dayton's gone crazy again? Perhaps due to company profits taking a beating from competition with Tony Stark? Or is there a more sinister reason?
Like, say, a long-range plan by the Mad Thinker in which Mento is merely a pawn of the Puppet Master?

Frank said...

Will we get to see the fishnet fatales teaming up?

Carycomic said...

@FrankenRoss: preferably with Fishnet Angel? ;-D

Support STF: The Lost Issues!