Tuesday, September 29, 2026

The Rocketeer and Zatara

 

Zatara doesn't get enough love.  He first appeared in Action Comics #1, helping to kick the Golden Age of comic books into high gear, but some guy in a cape stole all of his thunder. The tale above is only part one of a two part epic, so make sure you come back here tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion!

12 comments:

  1. Woll the Rocketeer say "Up, Up, and Away?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention that Mr. Zatara's daughter is much more recognizable than he is, considering that she's a member of the Justice League.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I will most definitely be back, tomorrow, Ross. emaS taZ-emit! emaS taZ-lennahc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would Mr Z send him to the future to help his daughter??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zatara's word balloon seems to strongly imply that.

      Delete
  5. Zatara does time-travel?

    Are there any other wizards who do time travel? I know there's a time-travel device in one of the Harry Potter books, and I think Doctor Strange has done a little time-jumping in both the comics and the MCU (not sure about animated adventures).

    I'm asking, because I have a movie script centered on a wizard who time-travels, and I'm wondering what precedent there is for that particular element.

    PS: Ross, I think it may be about time that Zatara worked with Doctor Strange -- on the same side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bob Greenwade: As a member of the All-Star Squadron, during World War II, he might have had access to the Time Trust via the JSA. Who knows? Malachi Zee might even have been Zatara's estranged brother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zatara sends Rocketeer to Krypton to pick up Kal-el (along with Jor-El and Lara just for sympathy's sake) and take them to a planet other than Earth (Rann might do; they always get into trouble too) so that Superman never steals his spotlight in DC Comics ever again; or at least not in Action Comics. Let Adam strange deal with him instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would only create a divergent time/space continuum. The present one would be totally unaffected.

      Delete
    2. Or a paradox loop, since Zatara wouldn't know about Superman stealing his spotlight if it never happened, so he'd never send anyone back in time to stop it from happening.

      Delete
  8. That was just meant as a dumb joke based on the creator's comment about Zatara's spotlight on Action Comics, but thanks for taking it seriously anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete