Sad to say, most of these heroes are still somewhat forgotten. Growing up, I enjoyed reading their adventures whenever I would come across them. There were a few Animal man short cartoons about a decade ago and Rick Flag has appeared in the DCU, but I'm still waiting for the rest to find their way out of the comics pages. Cave Carson's rope is attached to a spaceship, in case you're wondering.

Much as I hate to admit this, Ross, I'm old enough to remember when these Silver Age stalwarts first banded together in the original Super Team Family! The one originated by DC as a successor to World's Finest which, in the pre-Bicentennial Seventies, had become to Superman what The Brave &The Bold was to Batman.
ReplyDeleteThat was the same story arc that had Vandal Savage manipulating
the formation of the equally Forgotten Villains. And all towards helping some midget mollusks called the Zandrians conquer Earth without literally firing a shot! So, I have to wonder if they're at it a second time. Perhaps, this time, under the leadership of Two-Face and the In-Betweener (from STF #5050)?
Are you sure you're not mixing up STF with DC Comics Presents?
DeleteNope! The original STF was very short-lived and got replaced by DC COMICS PRESENTS.
DeleteThe Forgotten Heroes first appeared in Action Comics #545.
DeleteBut, the names of both groups became canonical in DCCP #77-78.
Delete@Anon & Alaric: Yep! The same two-parter where DC's Enchantress first went bad. I guess June Moone got tired of looking like a cross between Mrs. Peel and the Wicked Witch of the West!
DeleteWhy have we never seen a team-up between the Forgotten Heroes and the Forgotten One (AKA Gilgamesh)?
ReplyDelete*rimshot*
DeleteDr. Alaric? You've created a punster.
DeleteI forgot about him.
ReplyDeleteOops! My above comment should have gone here. So_
Delete*rimshot*
Cool idea! Was this your first time using the Forgotten Heroes? I can't remember when you have before.
ReplyDeleteYes. Not many images of them as a team.
ReplyDeleteWhy is Tommy Tomorrow on the labels? He was never a member.
ReplyDeleteBeing from the future, he had never been a member before. So, it's not that he wasn't forgotten so much as...unanticipated.
DeleteActually, you're both wrong. That's Rip Hunter the Time Master!
DeleteI definitely remember Animal Man. Wasn't he a major player in a mini-series following 52 or one of DC's other big events? Something alongside Starfire and Adam Strange, I think.
ReplyDeleteBut it's a pity Jade and Obsidian apparently never became a part of this. I guess they're just too forgotten.
But with Congorilla... DC clearly has no shortage of talking apes, and at least a couple of them have gone to the Planet of the Apes. This may call for a big DC/PotA crossover, with Congorilla, Detective Chimp, Grodd, the Ultra-Humanite, and others.
And someone else to drop into the Planet of the Apes: the Strange Brothers. I think they've both visited individually, or at least Adam has, but they've not been there as a pair.
Random thought: Infinity, Inc. and the Beyonder. With a special appearance by Buzz Lightyear.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteJade and Obsidian hadn't been forgotten yet (or even appeared for the first time) when the Forgotten Heroes formed. It was the early '80s, and all the heroes were from previous decades (no one after the '60s). Jade and Obsidian didn't have their first appearances until the following year, I think.
DeleteAh, thanks for the clarification, Alaric. I thought the Forgotten Heroes were a more recent thing; I sure don't remember that original run.
Delete"Not you Stark."
ReplyDeleteTony or Arya? ;-)
Delete