Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Demon and The Black Knight (Vs. Klarion the Witch Boy)



Today would have been Jack Kirby's 99th Birthday.  I think my introduction to his work might have been the reprinted Marvel Superhero origin pages that would run in Dynamite Magazine.  Even back in the early 70's his art made an impression on me. My appreciation only grew decades later, when I saw his work in black and white, via the Marvel Essential TPB's - some of the early coloring really obscured his art.

Black Knight and The Demon first crossed paths in STF #921...

8 comments:

David Welsh said...

"By order of The King!" Nice touch.

Mr. High said...

The king the Black Knight is referring to must be Jack King Kirby!

Ross said...

Who else? :)

Carycomic said...

I think the first two Kirby works of art I ever read were the Jimmy Olsen issue where he and Don Rickles' doppleganger, "Goody" Rickles, got implanted with some kind of slow-acting incendiary chemical. And, a few years later, THE DEMON (v.1) #2, featuring Etrigan hung up like an art deco mobile while a scantily-clad Morgan LeFay gloats in the background.

Happy Birthday, Jack. And, thank you, Ross. :-)

Unknown said...

Great tribute!

Sonofjack said...

I first became aware of Jack Kirby in the pages of Kamandi....

Simreeve said...

Cary Comic said...
"I think the first two Kirby works of art I ever read were the Jimmy Olsen issue where he and Don Rickles' doppleganger, "Goody" Rickles, got implanted with some kind of slow-acting incendiary chemical"

That was probably my introduction to Kirby's art, too.

IIRC the chemical was called 'pyro-granulate', and keeping it from going off required staying calm despite knowing that it was there.

Snapper Carr said...

Imagine the original Black Knight, Shining Knight, Silent Knight, and Prince Valiant in King Arthur's court.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!