Saturday, April 30, 2016

Justice League of America and Warlock



Back in the Silver and Bronze age of comics there were certain concepts and motifs that were repeated over and over.  One that I always thought was cool was "giant hand grabs hero/heroes".  I'm not sure where the trend started, but it almost always worked on me.  For some reason I always found it to be an eye-catching image, and those covers drew my eye right in.

The JLA squared off against Thanos before on the blog - First in STF #184 and then again in STF #931...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was certainly what caught my eye, re: the cover of JLA v.1/#101 back in the early Seventies! Great attention to detail, Ross, as always. :-)

P.S.---with regard to other super-group teamings, how about Femforce & Flare/League of Champions; or Protectors & Justice Machine; or maybe even MLJ-Crusaders & Agents of T.H.U.N.D.E.R.?

Anonymous said...

Remember that time on Star Trek the classic series when a giant hand grabbed the Enterprise? Giant hands are cool!

Jonathan Linneman said...

Very nice! I wonder if Bully ever did a "giant hand" Ten of a Kind...?

Anonymous said...

I've got the original JLA issue where Despero is the villain in the middle of that giant hand. It was a great cover and a great issue! One of my favorite comics when I was a kid!
Ernie Chan sure drew some great covers.
M.P.

Paul Green said...

I remember one of the first giant hands I saw, grabbing Superman! Turned out, it was a kid with an action figure! I loved the JLA cover, and the giant hands seem to work best with a bunch of heroes trying to fight or escape. This one ranks up there with the classics from the 70s!
Maybe a future giant hand could be Galactus vs groups like Brady Bunch, Monkees, Partridge Family, Flintstones, Mighty Heroes, etc!!

Carycomic said...

The only thing that might catch my eye, even more strongly, is a tag-team match between Darkseid and Thanos...vs. Doomsday and Apokolips.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!