Saturday, January 31, 2015

Arnim Zola and The Penguin



If you told me a year ago that these two villains would each make memorable live action appearances I would not have believed it, and yet that has come to pass.  Arnim Zola's unexpected involvement in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was the highlight of the film for me, and that's saying a lot.  Robin Lord Taylor's performance as a young Penguin beginning his criminal empire on Gotham has been entertaining as well, and I look forward to seeing where he winds up by the end of the season.

7 comments:

ukeguy said...

It's sometimes jarring to see covers that combine such different drawing styles yet it also brings those styles into relief in a way that makes you appreciate style all the more.

Anonymous said...

Tracking system, huh? Let me guess: trained murres with eyes genetically engineered to double as TV cameras?*


*Murres are Arctic-dwelling birds that superficially resemble penguins. But, unlike the latter, they can still fly.

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to see the real Nick Fury up there, not that fake black one they are pushing at the moment.

pblfsda said...

@Ross: Actually, I think Arnim Zola (in his original human form) was in the first Cap film, too.

@Anonymous: Which Fury are you referring to, the one introduced almost 20 years ago in "Heroes Reborn", 15 years ago in "The Ultimates", seven years ago in the movies or three years ago in the comics? Because the one in the comics is explicitly not Nick, it's Nick's son Marcus who is called 'Nick Fury' by S.H.I.E.L.D. as a field code name. It's not as clear in the other three continuums if there was a WWII Fury.

Anonymous said...

pblfsda@ I am talking about the 60s cigar chomping Nick Fury and his Hollowing Commandos and Agent of SHIELD, Nick Fury.

Anonymous said...

I like to think of the cinematic Samuel L. Jackson version as being the love-child of the 1990's David Hasselhoff tele-version.

Anonymous said...

@ My namesake:

Yeah, right. I can just hear the maternity nurse, now.

"He has his father's eyepatch." :P

Support STF: The Lost Issues!