Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Raven and Professor X



Raven is one of the coolest female characters created by DC, but it doesn't seem like they really know what to do with her these days.  Her original allies - Starfire, Dick Grayson, Wally West, Cyborg and Donna Troy have been changed or altered so much that they no longer interact with her in the current continuity, and that's too bad because I had enjoyed those relationships.  She gained new fans with the Teen Titans animated series, but unfortunately no character resembling the Raven from TV can be found in the comics today.  Raven's New 52 costume redesign is one of the most head scratching looks they have come up with.  Why mess with a classic?


7 comments:

AirDave said...

Wow! That is an awesome cover! Very cool image of both characters!

I'm very disappointed by where the Titans are today. I know a lot of talented people have picked up the baton from Wolfman and Perez. I read H-E-R-O because Wil Pfeifer was writing it. I read his Catwoman and enjoyed it. I read his Captain Atom in the Wildstorm Universe trade. There's been nothing about The New 52 reboot to compel me to pick up Teen Titans. The image that DC is using of the team burning Justice League #1 and calling them tools? Wait, what now?! Oh, look my New Teen Titans back issues are calling me to re-read them again! ;)

Michael Bruner co-owner National Halloween, Horror, Haunted House and Hearse Convention said...

you have really taken the quality of your covers up a notch !
NICE !

Ross said...

Thanks, Michael - this blog is a learning experience for me and I am always trying to improve the quality of the covers. Looking back at the early covers, I have come a long way, but I also feel like I still have so much to learn. I am glad that folks stuck with me through some of the rougher patches!

jrp04f said...

Linkara has spoken prolifically on how DC seems to know just to go over her possession by Triton that was her early character arc over and over again. Retreading old plots is _not_ character development, anymore than making them grim 'n' gritty for no apparent reason.

Anonymous said...

The answer to your question, Ross, is that DC is probably trying for a hybridized Vampirella/Nightveil look.

Anonymous said...

The whole point of her being in this new book is to draw in fans of the cartoon.

Bobbo said...

I thought for a second that it was Marvel’s Psylocke.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!