Thursday, April 8, 2010

Batman and Captain Marvel Jr.



I was always fascinated by this character when I was a kid and would read the Golden Age reprints of the Shazam family. While Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel had solo adventures illustrated in the traditional comic style of the time, Jr. was depicted in a detailed realistic style. Amazing artists like Mac Raboy gave him a modern look that was decades ahead of most other comics on the stands. The covers especially had an almost painterly feel.

Captain Marvel Jr. and the rest of the Fawcett characters seem to be on hold at DC for the time being, and that's fine considering some of the storylines involving them in the past few years. Fortunately Geoff Johns left them in a position to have a clean slate when they return. As much as I do like seeing them team up with mainstream DCU characters, I think maybe it's time they get there own separate Earth again now that the multiverse is back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Please do a Batman-Captain Marvel (Shazam) cover. I always wanted to see them team up in a story by Haney & Aparo. There's quite a few Aparo Capt Marvel drawings you could use, from the covers of the Dollar Comics issues of World's Finest, as well as this: http://www.marvelfamily.com/comics/search/issueinfo.aspx?title=ComicReader&issue=172

Ross said...

Shazam! is one of the first covers I created - you'll see it coming up when I hit "S" in the alphabet!

Cabin Campbell said...

Great work! I just found out about this blog! I do similar work and thought I was the only obsessed person out there. By the way, I thought my friends and I were the only ones to discuss switching Adam West and William Shatner!

Ross said...

Thanks!

Shazamaholic said...

Can't wait to see Captain Marvel!

Support STF: The Lost Issues!